BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Steam Locomotives
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F No. 1477
Photo: Robert Frise - As static exhibit in Down Yard
Barclay No. 1477, one of the oldest fireless locomotives still in existence, was ordered by the War Department for HM Queensferry gunpowder factory in 1916. It was delivered to the Gretna Munitions Factory and records show the locomotive as their number GF 2, although in fact the machine has borne the number GF 3 all its life.
In 1936, Laporte chemical manufacturers of Luton purchased the engine from G. Cohen, a dealer who had obtained it from Gretna. At Luton, GF 3 became Laporte No. 1, although still proudly bearing its GF 3 plates from Gretna! 1971 saw this locomotive redundant and Laporte kindly donated it to the QRS.
|Builder :-||Barclay||Date Built :-||1916||Works No. :-||1477|
|Running No. :-||GF3 / 1||Name :-||-||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0F|
|Tractive Effort :-||17,000 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||160 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||15" x 20"|
|Weight :-||21t 8c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 0"||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Static Exhibit||Location :-||Downyard||Accession Number :-||W/0007|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 27 October 2013