BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Diesel Locomotives
Hunslet 0-4-0DM No. 2067
Built by Hunslet in 1940 for the War Department, this locomotive was first used at a depot in Donnington, Shropshire, and received the number DON. 1. Later this was changed to WD 75519. The years 1945 to 1956 were spent at Feltham Ordnance Depot, and here the engine was again renumbered, becoming Army 849 in 1952. Used for a short while at Arncott in 1957. No. 849 was sent to Sinfin Lane, Derby, until 1966. In July of that year it was put into store at Bicester and in the following October sold to a dealer, Thomas Ward.
Ward sold the locomotive to Esso Petroleum, who sent it to Purfleet, Essex. First used at Harrison's Wharf Bitumen Terminal, it moved around various parts of the Purfleet complex, but finally settled at Purfleet Tank Farm. In April 1983 the engine arrived at Quainton, having been presented to the Society in full working order by Esso. It was originally repainted in Esso red livery and used for shunting work. She was then named Esso after her donors. In preparation for a 1940's weekend, she has subsequently being painted in War Department livery.
Technical details of No. 2067 are as follows: the loco is fitted with a Gardner 6L3 engine developing 153 hp at 1200 rpm. Drive is via a three-speed gearbox and Hunslet patent clutch. Maximum speed is 12 mph and maximum load is 584 tons on level track in first gear.
During 2009 a clutch repair was completed.
|Builder :-||Hunslet||Date Built :-||1940||Works No. :-||2067|
|Running No. :-||Various||Name :-||Esso||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0DM|
|Tractive Effort :-||10, 890 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||n/a||Cylinder Dimensions :-||-|
|Weight :-||21t 02c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 4"||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Down Yard||Accession Number :-||W/0026|
|Arrival Date :-||1983|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 07 January 2016