BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Steam Locomotives
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F No. 2243
Number 2243 was built by Barclay in 1948, and although over thirty years younger, bears a remarkable resemblance to Quainton's other Barclay fireless locomotive, No. 1477. Laporte chemical manufacturers took delivery of No. 2243 on 14 July 1948, and it spent all its working life at their Luton plant, apart from a period between 1958 and 1960 when it was loaned to the Laporte factory at Warrington, Lancashire. When withdrawn from service in 1972, the locomotive, which had been Laporte No. 2, was donated to the Society by the company, arriving on 27th November of that year.
The engine was on static display until 1981, when the QRS solved the problem of steaming a fireless locomotive away from its natural environment. Laporte once more assisted the Society and kindly sponsored the restoration of the locomotive. No. 2243 was occasionally steamed during major events and on enthusiasts days, during the 1990s. On these occasions its was charged using locomotive Coventry No. 1. Since then the locomotive has not operated. Details on how the loco was charged is included on the fireless page. The Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group aims to repeat this feat with their similar Barclay No. 1952 of 1928 during 2014.
|Builder :-||Barclay||Date Built :-||1948||Works No. :-||2243|
|Running No. :-||2||Name :-||Laporte||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0F|
|Tractive Effort :-||15,300 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||160 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||15" x 18"|
|Weight :-||21t 0c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 0"||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Awaiting Overhaul||Location :-||Downyard||Accession Number :-||W/0008|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 11 June 2014