Built at the Boultham, Lincoln works of Ruston & Hornsby with a Ruston 6VPH engine. It was one of 164 locomotives built of class 165DE, a mixed class of 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 locos, one of eight in lot number 38. This is the only diesel / electric loco currently at Quainton.
Supplied new in 1959 to Blue Circle Industries Plc, Dunstable Cement Works, Bedfordshire, where it was given their Number 2. The locomotive was sent for rebuilding to Resco Railways, Erith, Kent in 1979, returning to Dunstable in 1980. Sold to scrap merchant Ampthill Scrap Metal Processing, Ampthill in October 1988, and subsequently purchased for preservation in 1995, the locomotive was restored to operating condition at a private site in Bedfordshire.
425477 was generously donated to Quainton in November 2002.
|Builder :-||Ruston & Hornsby||Date Built :-||1959||Works No. :-||425477|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||-||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0DE|
|Tractive Effort :-||155 bhp||Boiler Pressure :-||n/a||Cylinder Dimensions :-||n/a|
|Weight :-||28 tons||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 2½"||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Up Yard||Accession Number :-||W/0109|
Text © Quainton Railway
Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced
Page Updated: 17 October 2012