BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now? - Visitors
Standard Class 4 2-6-0 76017
This locomotive was one of a class of a class totalling 115 engines of 2-6-0 wheel arrangement designed by British Rail at Doncaster for mixed traffic duties, and built at Horwich and Doncaster between 1953 and 1957. They are of slightly smaller capacity than the 75000 class 4-6-0's and were developed from the LMS Ivatt 43000 class. They have 5ft 3in driving wheels with two outside cylinders, and Walschaerts valve gear (piston valves). The locomotives weigh 59tons 2 cwt and have a low axle loading of under 17tons, giving them a wide Route Availability (4 under British Rail classification). The footplate is raised and the cylinders are set at a sharp angle to the horizontal and the cab is closed at the rear by a built-up cylinder.
The locomotives were designed to attain maximum interchangeability with other British Rail standard types in all its details and by this means maintenance was greatly facilitated. The tenders of these engines weigh 42tons 3 cwt and have a coal capacity of 6 tons and a water capacity of 3,500 gallons.
When introduced the class were divided amongst all regions except the Western, with the largest allocation to the Southern and Scottish. The first five locomotives, 76000 - 4, were initially allocated to Scotland, with 76005 - 19 initially allocated to the Southern Region. 76017 was delivered from Horwich to Eastleigh (71A) in June 1953, where it joined others of the class in replacing aging LSWR 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 engines on passenger, freight and mixed traffic duties in the Southampton area. After seven years at Eastleigh it was transferred to similar duties at Salisbury (72B, later 70E), where it remained until withdrawn from traffic in December 1965. Withdrawal of the class had commenced in 1964.
One of 76017's exploits was on the 22nd September 1964 while working the 9.50am Didcot to Eastleigh goods train down the DNSR route. On approaching the crossing loop and station at Whitchurch Town the engine was unable to stop on the falling gradient. At the loop it was due to cross the Northbound 10.22am Eastleigh to Newbury passenger train. The signalman acted quickly to avoid a more serious accident by diverting the runaway into the shunting spur at the end of the loop and running forward to warn the oncoming passenger train. 76017 plunged down the side of the embankment and came to rest at an angle to the vertical. Damage to the engine was not severe and Eastleigh soon straightened the bent front end and side.
The tender originally paired with 76017 was the standard BR type 2, 3500 gallon capacity, No. 931/1953, the tank of which was built at Derby. This tender was carried by the engine throughout its working life but the tender brought from Woodham's yard, Barry, was taken from 76077.
76017 found its way to Woodham Brothers scrap yard at Barry, South Wales scrap yard where it languished for eight years, but ultimately escaped the cutters torch. It was purchased for preservation by a group of QRS members and arrived at Quainton on 5th January 1974. It was moved to the Mid Hants Railway in February 1978, though it did return to Quainton for a visit in June 1994. She was withdrawn in 1997 and waited its turn in the restoration queue for sometime before returning to operation in 2017. Further details of this locomotive are available on the Mid Hant's Railway website.
Current Location - Mid Hants Railway, The Watercress Line
|Builder :-||British Rail, Horwich||Date Built :-||1953||Number :-||76017|
|Alternate Numbers :-||-||Name :-||-||Wheel Arrangement :-||2-6-0|
|Tractive Effort :-||24,170 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||225 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||17½" x 26"|
|Weight :-||59t 2c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||5' 3"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 02 December 2017