BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Mainline Locomotives - Steam Locomotives
BR(WR) 94XX Class 0-6-0PT No. 9466
First introduced in 1947, the 94XX pannier tanks were designed by F. W. Hawksworth as a modern version of the 57XX machines of C B Collett. The first ten of the 94XX series were built by the Great Western Railway at their Swindon works and were fitted with superheated boilers. The prototype engine of the class, 9400, was built in Swindon and entered traffic in February 1947. On the formation of British Railways in 1948, it was decided to continue building these useful locos, and a further 200 were order, with 50 to be by Swindon and 150 by outside contractors (Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, W G Bagnall, Yorkshire Engine Company, Hunslett and Hudswell Clarke) between 1949 and 1956. The 50 Swindon engines only had their boilers built at Swindon, the rest also contracted out. They were not superheated however, as by now this was considered unnecessary for the shunting work on which they were employed. These engines were numbered 9410 to 9499, 8400 to 8499 and 3400 to 3409.
9466 itself was one of a batch of thirty built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn Ltd. under lot No. 383, being towed from Darlington to Swindon during February 1952 as RSH works No. 7617. Its first home depot was Worcester (85A). Worcester had a number of these 94XX tanks which were used not only for shunting and pilot work, but also on local passenger and freight duties including the Malvern and Evesham turns and Bromyard branch freight.
9466 stayed at Worcester for 9 years until it was overhauled at Wolverhampton Stafford Road Works (November 1960), before transfer to Bristol (St Phillips Marsh) (82B) in January 1961. The demise of steam on the Great Western was in full spate in the early 1960ís and engines of the 94XX class were becoming redundant. Some were withdrawn and scrapped and some were stored at Swindon and elsewhere pending a decision on their fate. In November 1960 fifty of the class were sold to private dealers for scrap. Nine of the fifty were sold to Woodham Brothers of Barry. GWR No. 9466 was not in this batch condemned.
Towards the end of its working life the engine also saw service at Tondu depot (86F) in South Wales from June 1962, and at Radyr shed (88B) also in South Wales from July 1963. Duties at these two sheds were similar and comprised trip work and yard shunting. These activities were taken over by diesel motive power in the form of 350hp shunters and Class 37ís. 9466 was withdrawn for scrap on 6 June 1964 after a working life of less than 12 years. This was longer than many of the class, for example 3404 was built in March 1956 and withdrawn in July 1962 after a mere 6ľ years.
No. 9466 was sold to Woodham Brothers of Barry, where it was in residence by the end of October 1964. It spent 11 years in this famous scrap yard, almost as long as it had worked British Railways. 9466 arrived at Quainton on 25th September 1975, and has been in the present owner, Dennis Howells' possession since 1977, with the original restoration taking 8 years.
Since restoration, the locomotive has visited and worked as a guest in a number of private lines and railway centres listed below. 9466 is restored and maintained to full Railtrack MT276 main line certification. It has also worked special steam trains for London Underground, together with Quainton's Met No. 1, as part of Steam on the Met railtours. 9466 took part in the 1989, 95, 96, 98, 99 and 2000 seasons of Steam on the Met.
No. 9466 had its first 7-year overhaul at London Transportís Ruislip Depot, arriving there late in 1993 and leaving in 1994. Its second 7-yearly overhaul was completed at London Transportís Neasden Depot during May 2004, returning to Quainton by the end of that month. During 2006 the locomotive has been fitted with Train Protection and Warning System (TPWS) and On Train Monitoring and Recording (OTMR) systems, now mandatory for mainline operation in the UK. No. 9466 is the first 0-6-0 tank locomotive to have TPWS and OTMR fitted. Recertification to mainline standards at Tyseley has enabled 9466 to undertake a successful test run from Tyseley to Stratford on Avon. The locomotive then took part in steam excursions, the first being from Tyseley to Birch Coppice, onto Sutton Park, Codsall, Cosford, Walsall and Ironbridge and return. Several mainline excursions have been run by 9466 in 2007, 2008 and 2009, including other runs based at Tyseley taking in the Severn Valley Railway. For the GWR 175th celebrations in 2010, over Sundays 19th and 26th September, 9466 worked four trips over the Liskeard - Looe line, itself celebrating its 150th anniversary, along with West Coast Railways Class 37 diesel 37685.
After its runs on the Liskeard - Looe line 9466 worked light engine from Plymouth transferring off the main line to the South Devon Railway. The locomotive ran to the SDR's Buckfastleigh Works where it will be fitted with a new set of pannier tanks and a new smoke box door. A repaint into British Railways black is due for the first time in preservation. A further visit to the South Devon Railway in July 2012 was required after a minor incident at the Mid Norfolk Railway, requiring some repairs.
During 2013 No. 9466 has been taking part in various Met150 celebrations along with Quainton's Met No. 1 and Bill Parker's Prairie GWR 5521 (repainted in Metropolitan maroon as Met No. 150). This included trips between Wembley Park and Amersham, and between Amersham and Harrow-on-the-Hill on the 24th to 27th May 2013 and again on the 7th and 8th September 2013.
No. 9466 has visited many preserved railways and other locations in the UK including:
Full details of the locomotive's visits over the last few years to various locations, its upcoming visits, and the details of its most recent overhaul, may normally be found on its own facebook site.
Like increasingly more and more preserved steam locomotives No. 9466 has now been in preservation, with the one owner, for over twice the length of time it was owned by British Rail. The locomotive was certified for mainline use during this period of operation. In May 2011 No. 9466 was repainted in British Railways Black livery for the first time in preservation, appearing in this livery in public first at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.
The 20th October 2013 saw No. 9466's last day in steam on her present ticket. She had been allowed a one year extension to her boiler certificate. No. 9466 is now being dismantled for the next 10-year overhaul at Quainton. By May 2014 the tanks and boiler lagging etc. had been removed. No. 9466's boiler has now had its firebox foundation rivets renewed, and the internal steam pipe repaired. The motion has now been reassembled.
|Builder :-||RSH||Date Built :-||1952||Origin :-||BR(WR)|
|Number :-||9466||Alternate Numbers :-||-||Name :-||-|
|Wheel Arrangement :-||0-6-0PT||Tractive Effort :-||22, 515lb||Boiler Pressure :-||200 psi|
|Cylinder Dimensions :-||17½" x 24"||Weight :-||55t 07c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||4' 7½"|
|Owner :-||D Howells||Status :-||10 Year Overhaul||Location :-||Up Yard Shed|
|Accession Number :-||N/A||Arrival Date :-||1975||Power Classification :-||GWR - C
BR - 4F
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 04 October 2015