James and Frederick Howard Ltd. were agricultural engineers and operated a agricultural implement and railway wagon factory in Bedford during the 1920s and 30s, going out of business in 1931. The Britannia Iron & Steel Works Ltd took over the site in 1932 and made pipe fittings etc. on the same site for many years.
Towards the end of the company J. and F. Howard Ltd. offered three sizes of standard guage locomotive and used a six cylinder petrol engine for the largest, a 12 ton unit. The other sizes were 7 tons and 10 tons.
Examples at Quainton
|None at Present|
Text © Quainton Railway
Page first published in QRS publication "A Century on Rails" 1985.
Page Updated: 26 May 2010