Robert Frise - SR 1023 in Platform 4
Tony Lyster - SR 1023 in Upyard
This standard design Southern Railway brake van was one of a batch of thirty vans built for the army at Southern Railway's Ashford Works, during World War II. It was registered on the SR as 1023 but became Army Number 49014. The van worked on the internal railway systems at various army depots, coming to Quainton from OESD, Yardley Chase, Northampton. 49014 was one of three identical vans at Yardley Chase whe in closed in 1980, the other two vans going to the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embasy and the Swanage Railway. 49014 had been at Yardley Chase for about three years, previously being at Kineton.
Originally brought to Quainton by the Ivatt Trust, it is now owned by the Quainton Railway Society. It has been at Quainton since 20 March 1981.
|Origin :-||Army / SR||Date Built :-||1942||Number :-||SR 1023
|Diagram :-||-||Lot :-||-|
|Type :-||25 ton||Builder :-||SR Ashford||Wheelbase :-||16' 0"|
|Owner :-||QRS||Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Upyard|
Text © Quainton Railway
Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced
Page Updated: 24 November 2012