BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Diesel Locomotives
Hibberd 0-4-0DM No. 3271 Walrus
Photo: Tim Cook - Walrus in the downyard
Built in 1949 by F Hibberd & Co. Ltd.. at Park Royal, London, Walrus was delivered new to Hibberd's neighbouring company, Arthur Guinness Ltd., also of Park Royal. Walrus, along with sister loco Carpenter, worked at Park Royal until 1986. Usually the pair worked week and week about, shunting wagons around the brewery, but the company's increased rail traffic using large 'ferry' wagons rendered them redundant, as the locos were too small and did not have sufficiently good tyres to enable them to work onto the BR branch. Their replacements came in the form of two 08 0-6-0DEs. Walrus is painted dark blue at present, but is due to receive a new black livery as part of the agreement with Guinness when the loco was donated.
The power plant is a Paxman 6RWT engine of 144 bhp. Maximum speed is 11 mph and weight 24 tons. F. C. Hibberd obtained many of their components from outside sources and the coupling rods are known to have been produced by the Yorkshire Engine Company. The design has quite a similarity to contemporary Hudswell Clarke practice.
The loco requires minor engine repairs, but is not in use as its tyres are very thin.
It was donated to the Society after it was replaced by the new diesels, arriving at Quainton on Sunday 9th November 1986.
|Builder :-||Hibberd||Date Built :-||1949||Works No. :-||3271|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||Walrus||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0DM|
|Tractive Effort :-||144 bhp||Boiler Pressure :-||n/a||Cylinder Dimensions :-||-|
|Weight :-||24t 0c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||-||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Static Exhibit - Being painted||Location :-||Upyard||Accession Number :-||W/0029|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 27 October 2013