BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Goods Vehicles - Open Wagons
Standard 16-ton Coal Wagon
The origins of this wagon are unknown due to its numerous rebuilds, but it is thought to date from the early 1950's when thousands of these wagons were in use. It is very similar in appearance to the BR Iron Ore Tippler wagon, apart from provision, of doors in this version. With the change in working practices as coal merchants no longer bagged coal by hand direct from wagons, it was sold to the National Coal Board for further use. It was purchased from Holditch Colliery in Staffordshire where it was used as a buffer stop, being derailed every night by the yard crane to prevent vandals setting merry-go-round trains away down the steeply graded branch.
When repainted it was initially given the number B591830, but it is not definite that this the correct number. It has subsequently being given the number B75250. It arrived at Quainton in March 1988.
|Origin :-||Unknown||Date Built :-||c 1950s||Number :-||unknown|
|Diagram :-||-||Lot :-||-||Capacity :-||16 ton|
|Type :-||Open coal||Builder :-||unknown||Wheelbase :-||-|
|Owner :-||QRS||Status :-||Cosmetically Restored||Location :-||Buffer Depot Museum|
|Accession No. :-||W/0061||Arrival Date :-||1988|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 25 September 2017