BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Mainline Locomotives - Steam Locomotives - Visitors
GWR Castle Class No. 5080 Defiant
The Castle class was designed by Charles Benjamin Collett as a development of his predecessor's, George Jackson Churchward, Star class. Production begun at the Great Western Railway's Swindon works in 1923, as the most powerful locomotive in Britain, and continued under British Railways until 1950.
No. 5080 was built in 1939 and initially named Ogmore Castle. Based at Old Oak Common Depot in London she worked expresses to Birmingham and the West Country. A transfer to Cardiff Canton came in 1941 and a rename to Defiant as a number of Castles to receive names associated with the Royal Air Force aircraft involved in the Battle of Britain. During her time in Wales she saw service on titled trains such as The Red Dragon and The South Wales Pullman. A further transfer to Carmarthen came in 1959, followed by a final move to Llanelli in 1961. Withdrawal came in 1963 and disposal to Dai Woodham's scrapyard in Barry, South Wales.
Purchased for preservation by the Birmingham Railway Museum Trust, restoration commenced in 1985 with No. 5080 making her main line debut in 1988 on a charter from Tyseley to Didcot. Over the next decade she made several visits to numerous preserved lines, including a visit to Quainton in 1990.
No. 5080 came to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre on long term loan on 21 January 2002, to be exhibited in the Rewley Road Visitor Centre, along with the GWR Special Saloon No. W9001 used by Winston Churchill and President Eisenhower during the Second World War. There are currently no plans to restore her to working order at Quainton, as her role at the centre is at the head of a static train in Rewley Road.
|Builder :-||Great Western Railway - Swindon||Date Built :-||1939||Origin :-||Great Western Railway|
|Number :-||5080||Alternate Numbers :-||-||Name :-||Defiant|
|Wheel Arrangement :-||4-6-0||Tractive Effort :-||31,625 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||225 psi|
|Cylinder Dimensions :-||16" × 26"||Weight :-||79t 16c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||6' 8½"|
|Owner :-||Birmingham Railway Museum||Status :-||Static Display - On Loan||Location :-||Rewley Road Visitor Centre|
|Accession Number :-||N/A||Arrival Date :-||2002||Power Classification :-||GWR - D
BR - 7P
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 23 February 2015