Built by Hunslet in 1958 for Stewarts and Lloyds Minerals Lyd of Buckminster, Rutland, Juno worked in the company's ironstone quarries until 1968. It was one of the few 'Austerities' to work on the ironstone system of the Midlands.
On Saturday 31st May 1969 Juno was delivered to Quainton having being purchased by the Ivatt Trust. During the first years of the Quainton Railway Centre, Juno was a valuable asset, working alongside Sir Thomas in the downyard. Juno and Sir Thomas then bore the brunt of services for the rest of 1971 and throughout the following years. In June 1972 Juno was moved from the downyard to the upyard. For many years the engine could be found in store in the upyard shed, waiting for retubing and the day when it could take up passenger duties at Quainton once again.
However, the Ivatt Trust decided to donate Juno to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, along with their Ivatt locomotives, moving there in May 2009. In November 2010 the IOWSR in turned placed Juno on loan to Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon where the locomotive was placed on display in the Collection Building. It will be conserved in the museumís Conservation Workshop when time permits.
|Builder :-||Hunslet||Date Built :-||1958||Works No. :-||3850|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||Juno||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-6-0ST|
|Tractive Effort :-||23,870 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||170 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||18" x 26"|
|Weight :-||48t 05c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||4' 3"||t|
Text © Quainton Railway
Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced
Page Updated: 28 June 2011