BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Passenger Stock - Non Bogie Vintage Carriages
LNWR Inspection Saloon No. 2119
This vehicle is an example which has been obtained as a body only. It was built as a convertible sleeping / day saloon at a cost of £1,115 in 1874. Originally part of the West Coast Joint Stock, numbered 102, it was transferred to the LNWR in 1883 along with a similar vehicle. Two others went to the other WCJS partner, the Caledonian Railway. After transfer, No. 119, was based at Euston and could be hired for day trips. In November 1899 it became No. 2119 after being placed on the LNWR duplicate list.
1903 saw the coach at Wolverton for conversion to an engineers' inspection saloon, whereupon it was sent to Bangor, North Wales. When the LNWR became part of the LMS No. 2119 became 010393, and later, after the 1933 renumbering, 45024. In 1942 it was replaced by a new vehicle and sent to Blackburn where it remained until withdrawal in 1945.
In July of that year the body was sold to a Bedford family for use as living accommodation, the underframe being broken up. Latterly it was home for the Brown family and in September 1982 it was donated to the Society by Mrs Aileen Brown in memory of her husband. It now carries a brass plaque to this effect.
All the doors are towards one end, with a verandah, part of the toilet and many of the fittings still extant, including two pairs of seats which turn into beds - complete with original brightly coloured moquette and buttoned leather door. It is fortunate that, as the body was lived in until early December 1980, it is in exquisite condition.
No. 2119 is the oldest surviving WCJS coach and also the oldest surviving ´public use´ sleeping car. At the present time the body is stored on an underframe obtained separately, but in time it will be mounted on a more suitable chassis.
|Origin :-||LNWR||Date Built :-||1874||Number :-||WCJS - 102
LNWR - 2119
LMS - 010393 / 45024
|Diagram :-||-||Lot :-||-|
|Type :-||Convertible Saloon||Builder :-||LNWR Wolverton||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||In Store||Location :-||Buffer Depot||Accession Number :-||W/0032|
|Arrival Date :-||1982|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 08 December 2017