BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
LNWR Observation Car No. 68
This coach was built at Wolverton in 1877 and originally seated thirty people in two separate salons, divided by a partition with a sliding door. The sides had four large windows, all of which were originally fitted with blinds. In use until 1902 between Llandudno Junction and Blaenau Ffestiniog, it was later returned to Wolverton and sold in 1910.
In 1912 it was sold again. In an edition of the Quainton News it was stated that for a period before 1948 the coach served as a bungalow for nurses working at a hospital near to its location at Denbigh Poultry Farm (near Milton Keynes). Subsequent editions of the Quainton Stockbook stated that from 1912 it was used as a chicken-feed store at the same farm. It was purchased by the Society in July 1975. The coach interior has long since been stripped of internal fittings, and the only original part which remained was the internal partition which once divided the two compartments. The outside of the body had a number of markings under the drab green paint it arrived in at Quainton. The original livery was carmine lake with white window frames and gold lining. There would have been four LNWR coats of arms on the body and LNWR monograms in the centre of the sides. The number 68 was found on several places on the body.
It was in use at Quainton for several years as a temporary shop, however it was found to be very badly infested with dry rot. After extensive survey, the regretful decision to destroy the body had to be taken, for the sake of the rest of the collection.
|Origin :-||LNWR||Date Built :-||1877||Number :-||68|
|Type :-||Observation Car||Builder :-||LNWR Wolverton||Status :-||Scraped|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 04 October 2017