BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton Guide 1979
Locomotives and Rolling Stock
At Quainton Road today you will see one of the largest collections of railway locomotives at any one centre in the country. Naturally our main interest is steam engines but we do have some interesting diesels as well.
The bulk of our collection is industrial engines which are more suited to short distance running, as coal consumption is more economical. The selection on view is very representative of this country, although by no means comprehensive. We also have a cross section of ex-main line locomotives, some of which may be seen in steam from time to time.
On the following pages you will find brief details of our locomotives, but we strongly recommend purchase of the modestly priced Stockbook for detailed information. It includes photographs of most of the stock including carriages, wagons and miscellaneous items together with full technical details of locos in tabular form. It is available from the Bookshop on platform 2 or by post.
The following locomotives have either worked at Quainton, or are nearing completion to running order:-
Coventry No. 1. An 0-6-0 tank built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. Delivered new to the Coventry Colliery in 1939, ownership passing to the National Coal Board on nationalisation in January 1947. After overhaul at Quainton it returned to steam there in October 1972, and has been a popular locomotive since. Its livery, is dark unlined blue.
No. 1 Sir Thomas. Our second 0-6-0 tank engine, which had the honour of running our first passenger service in 1969. Built in 1918 by Hudswell Clarke works number 1334, it has now been withdrawn from service for major repairs to the boiler and firebox. Livery is red, lined in yellow. Spent its working life locally at the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company at Wroxton near Banbury.
Juno. Along with Sir Thomas performed the opening ceremony in 1969. Built by Hunslet as late as 1958, this is one of the youngest engines at Quainton. The design of Juno became known as Austerities and are the same as the BR class J94. Livery is light unlined green.
Swanscombe. Famous because of national coverage on BBC television as the Playschool enqine this attractive locomotive has been restored to a green livery lined with white. It was built in 1891 by Andrew Barclay & Co of Kilmarnock, Scotland, and is probably the eldest surviving Barclay loco in Britain.
Sentinels No. 7 and 11. These are both built to an unusual design for which the Sentinel Waggon Works of Shrewsbury became famous. No. 7 has been restored to its original lnd Coope green livery, and No. 11 to 'Midland' red livery with black and yellow lining. Both these locomotives are steamed from time to time to demonstrate their unusual designs.
2104. One of two identical engines at Quainton (the other being No. 2105) this was built in 1950 by Pecketts of Bristol. It has been restored to dark green livery, lined in black and yellow and is a very economical engine to run.
No. 3. Built in 1948 by Hawthorne Leslie & Co of Newcastle Upon Tyne, this locomotive spent its working life in Kent at the cement works of the Associated Portland Cement Co. It arrived at Quainton in June 1971 and worked regularly until major boiler repairs became necessary in 1975. Livery is pale unlined green.
Millom. Built in 1946 by Hudswell Clarke & Co. this engine had a varied life until it came to Quainton. It has had a major overhaul and when completed will be in a green livery and named Millom. Works number is 1742.
Chislet. Built by the Yorkshire Engine Company. Sheffield, in 1952. It Is nearing restoration to 'Midland' red livery and is one of our larger 0-6-0 saddle tank engines being over 30 feet in length.
The following locomotives are undergoing restoration but are not expected to be in working order for some time:
No. 4 Alexander. An 0-4-0 saddle tank built 1926, by Andrew Barclay, works No. 1865.
No. 66. An 0-6-0 saddle tank built 1964 by Hunslet, works No. 389l. The youngest locomotive at Quainton.
V75 Scott. An 0-4-0 saddletank built 1932 by Bagnall. Works No. 2469.
Hornpipe. An 0-4-0 saddletank built 1928 by Peckett. Works No. 1756.
James. An 0-4-0 saddletank built 1952 by Peckett. Works No. 2129.
Sydenham. An unusual 4W TG Aveling & Porter locomotive built 1895. Works No. 3567.
Trym. An 0-4-0 saddle tank built by Hunslet. Works No. 287.
1900. A Peckett 0-4-0 tank locomotive built 1936.
2105. An 0-4-0 saddle tank identical to 2104 on preceding page.
We have four diesel locomotives at Quainton:
Osram. Built 1933 by Fowler, works number 20067. In working order, and restored to its original Osram-GEC livery of dark green embellished with straw coloured lining.
K4428. Built 1929 by Kerr Stuart and modified by Hunslet. The first Society owned locomotive to arrive at Quainton on 15th April 1969.
Tarmac. Built 1955 by Hibberd, works number 3765. This locomotive is also in working order and is regularly used for shunting stock. Livery is olive green with black and white lining.
T1. Built 1937, also by Hibberd. Works number 2102. This was donated by Comp Air Broomwade Ltd., High Wycombe, and arrived at Quainton on 19th August 1978.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 13 December 2017