BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton Guide 1979
We are fortunate to have three Ivatt locomotives at Quainton, owned by the Ivatt Locomotive Trust. Two are 2-6-2 tanks, numbers 41298 and 41313. The former was purchased in July 1967 at the end of steam working on the Southern and then spent a number of years at Longmoor prior to the move to Quainton in December 1970. Its sister engine, No. 41313 was originally bought for spare parts, but has now become a long term restoration project.
46447 is a tender version of the two tanks and is of 2-6-0 wheel arrangement. It was built in 1950 and withdrawn in December 1966. Arrival at Quainton was in June 1972.
All three locomotives are now under cover in the up yard building, and restoration has now begun in earnest after many years of inattention due to other committments of Trust members. It is expected that at least one of the trio will shortly be in steam.
GWR Pannier Tanks
We have at Quainton the two different designs of Great Western 0-6-0 pannier tanks. No. 7715 was one of a class which totalled 863, and is one of a number preserved throughout the country. It was sold by BR to London Transport in 1963, and spent over 6 years in the Lonpon area. It is now in a temporary livery of BR black with a BR Lion emblem on the tanks and is a regular performer on open days.
The other pannier, No. 9466, is one of a class of 210, and is easily distinguishable as the 'pannier' tanks do not reach the front of the smoke box. The only other member of the class preserved is the prototype, No. 9400, which is at Swindon Museum. Restoration to GWR green is making steady progress.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 13 December 2017