BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 12 - June 1972
The Cover Photograph
Forty two years before the footbridge at Quainton Road station was re-opened, in March 1972, our member Henry Casserley was at this vantage point with camera poised to photograph the Aylesbury bound auto train steaming in with a Great Central Railway Class 3 2-4-2T LNER 5594.
As GCR 594 this engine had been built by Neilson & Co. of Glasgow in March 1891 (Makers No. 4334) and was one of a class of 39 engines designed by Thomas Parker. By 5th March 1930 when this picture was taken the original round topped firebox had been replaced by a boiler with a Belpaire firebox and the stovepipe chimney had disappeared. 5594 was LNER Class F1 and was withdrawn in June 1943 from Tuxford shed. Incidentally, did you realise there was once a flight of steps from the road to the up side station yard?
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 18 October 2017