Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 19 - Spring 1974

Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST No. 2498 Chislet

A Spring Story - by Reg Uphill


qn_19_14.jpg (48,990 bytes)

Photo:
J R Fairman - Chislet, 29th May 1971


After Chislet was acquired from the NCB and internal cleaning started, it was noticed that the left hand driving axle spring had a slight sag.

A quick inspection revealed that the lower four leaves were broken and one half of them had dropped out. This we presumed was causing the sag in the rest.

During the fine weather of last summer it was decided to dismantle the old spring, fit new leaves, reassemble and refit to the engine.

On measuring the old leaves we required four pieces of 4" x ½" spring steel, each about 18" long.

We enquired around the site to find if there were any unwanted springs around. A word with Alan Bolton and we dashed down the line to find three or four unwanted springs, but unfortunately these were made from 4½" x ½".

A chat with John Mortham gave us the good news that he had an unwanted spring acquired with his Peckett. A check on this spring showed it was just the job as it was made from 4" x ½" material.

The next job was to remove the old spring. To do this the loco was jacked up on one side to relieve the load. The 1¾" nuts were removed and the bearing plates taken off. We next tried to lever the top leaves off the hanger bolts. As this was achieved, we were horrified to see the spring slowly drop apart leaving the heavy half still suspended from the bolts! The spring had completely fractured through the centre of the buckle!

After cleaning and closer inspection two top leaves were found to be 4" x 5/8" steel which we did not possess. The two leaves were eventually purchased from Bramber Springs Ltd, with advice from Mick Hatton. The spring obtained from John M. was next dismantled, the keep bolt was removed and with a 7lb sledge and drift plus three hours hard work, it was dismantled. The leaves were then marked for cutting to length, put aboard the Land Rover and taken to be sawn to suit. The two new leaves duly arrived from Brambers and cost £15.

The assembly of the spring took around five hours and with much cursing and hammering all the leaves were forced home; but the top packing plate will be inserted when the spring is on the engine and under load.

The two top leaves have oval holes to pass the 1¾" eye bolts; it was found that the half holes in the next two lower leaves would not pass the bolt. So we spent two pleasant weekends with hacksaw and file, enlarging them. We found on examination that the holes in the original spring had been fouling the eye bolts when under tension, thereby possibly causing the fracture to occur. As the spring is not the same as the others I doubt if it is the original.

The next job is to fit to engine. But that's another story. This is the real 'stuff' of restoration!


Notes:
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1974 and so does not reflect events in the 40+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

Reference:
A Spring Story - by Reg Uphill - Quainton News No. 19 - Spring 1974


Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 04 November 2017