Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 24 - Summer 1975

Aveling and Porter 0-4-0T No. 807

The Cover Photograph - Restoration of the Wotton Tramway Locomotive

qn_24_08.jpg (22,689 bytes) qn_24_09.jpg (40,180 bytes)

Courtesy London Transport - The Brill Tram Engine
JR Fairman - Quainton's Tramway Engine, built in 1895

Historic steam engine to be preserved by British Transport Commission

A few months ago the Editor was pleased to receive a copy of a London Transport Press Office release with the above heading, dated 19th January, 1957, and in a future issue of Quainton News the text will be reproduced. On the cover of this issue is the official photograph which accompanied the document [reproduced above]. Although the history of the locomotive and its association with Quainton has been mentioned in our serial article on the Wotton Tramway the reproduction should be of special interest for readers who are not yet members of the Society. The tram engine can be seen in the museum of London Transport at Syon House [Note 1] but we have a very similar locomotive at our depot. Below is a photograph of Quainton's Aveling & Porter geared engine which is stored waiting its turn in the restoration queue. [reproduced above]

1 - The London Transport Museum at Syon House is now located at Covent Garden. The Wotton Tramway locomotive is currently on loan to Quainton.

The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1975 and so does not reflect events in the 40+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

The Cover Photograph - Restoration of the Wotton Tramway Locomotive - Quainton News No. 24 - Summer 1975

Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 28 October 2017