BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 25 - Autumn 1975
BR Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2T No. 41313
41313, A Stablemate for 41298
Nine years in the salty air of Barry had left 41313 rather tarnished and careworn in appearance but some red oxide paint on the tanks and cab, and half a gallon of Dulux black on the boiler and smokebox before departure made our latest Ivatt Trust locomotive look quite presentable for the road trip to Quainton at the end of June, although one essential item, the chimney, was missing!
Roy Miller and Peter Clarke welcome a companion locomotive to their 41298 but they make the point right away that they have purchased 41313 initially to provide a change of boiler for the Class 2 2-6-0, 46447, and to give them some other valuable spares. The newly arrived 2-6-2T has a good set of tyres and its pony truck will need less attention than that on the Mogul. For the 14 years of its working life 41313 was a Southern engine and the relatively good condition of its boiler and firebox reflects the care and attention paid by the SR to water treatment and to the regularity of boiler wash-outs. Many other components are likely to be taken from the latest Class 2 and used on the restoration of the 2-6-0. The two engines have been placed next to each other in the up yard for stripping down and examination and it will be the 2-6-0 which will then be reconstructed. Roy and Peter are not committing themselves to rebuilding 41313, but time will tell!
Readers may recall the post-war development of the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0's and 2-6-2T's. Both appeared in the same year, 1946, and had many identical features including cylinders, boilers, fireboxes, wheels and motion. Both classes became very successful and popular and 130 2-6-2T's were built, 41200 to 41329, followed in 1953 by 30 almost identical BR standard engines numbered 84000 to 84029.
41313 was one of a batch of 20 engines built at Crewe in 1952 to Order E482. The first of the series was completed in March and our engine entered traffic in May, 1952.
It appeared on the Southern at Brighton on 29th May and after checking and running-in it was sent forward on 29th June to its first home shed, Exmouth Junction. Soon it was joined by 41314/5 and the trio were quickly drafted onto duties which displaced the ageing Drummond M7 0-4-4T's on the Exmouth and Sidmouth branches and on other local passenger trains in the Exeter district. They were also tried on banking duties between St. Davidís and the Central Stations.
41313 was an engine which often seemed to be selected for this pioneering work in the West! On 5th July 1952 it piloted 'West Country' 34036 on the 11.49. Exeter Central to Okehampton enroute to become the first 2-6-2T to be used on the Bude branch from Halwill Junction. Soon after this expedition it shared with 41315 the penetration of the Bere Alston to Callington branch near Plymouth, the former haunts of the PO & SWJR 0-6-2T's, 30757/8.
For nearly three years 41313 continued to work from Exmouth Jc., and it could frequently be seen on branch passenger trains from Exeter. On 11th March 1955 it made its way into 'unexplored' territory when it was selected to test the suitability of 2-6-2T's on the Torrington to Halwill Junction line. This was, however, one of its last duties in the West of England for several years because, early in April it was moved to Three Bridges depot in Sussex on the Brighton main line. This was only temporary accommodation for a few weeks. In May 41313 reached Faversham shed, (73E), in East Kent and this became home for four years until the depot closed to steam on 14th June 1959. With other engines of its class it had established an excellent reputation for reliability and lively performance on local trains to the Medway towns, to Dover and on the Sheerness branch. While at Faversham 41313 was again selected for a special operation. This was in January 1957 when it was the test engine for empty stock train working between Clapham Junction and Waterloo. Again the 2-6-2T was successful and it heralded the end of the Drummond 0-4-4T's on these duties.
In November 1959, 41313 came to Eastleigh Works for its first general repair and when repainted ex-works the 2-6-2T again went West, this time to Barnstaple, (72E). The duties it had first sampled in 1955, to Torrington and Halwill, became its regular activity and as it was still at Barnstaple at the end of 1962 it was transferred to Western Region stock when all the lines west of Salisbury fell under the spell of Swindon and Paddington. Three months under this regime was enough and 41313 escaped back to the Southern and arrived at Brighton shed, (75A), for a year's sojourn at that resort. Its duties included shunting, passenger services to Horsham and Guildford, van trains and the Lancing Belle workman's train. Two visits to Eastleigh Works for intermediate repairs were made, one in July 1962 when it came up from Barnstaple and the other in November 1963 after it had transferred to Brighton. Eastleigh shed was to be 41313's last operational base. In May 1964 it joined 41319/25 at 70D and then spent more than a year on local passenger and van trains in the district, also some freight duties including the petrol tank car trains on the Fawley branch, often as pilot to a Class 3 2-6-2T. By June 1965 diesel power was ousting steam in the area and 41313 was laid aside in Eastleigh shed yard and it was withdrawn from service in November.
It was sold to Woodham Bros., Barry in February 1966 and was last noted at Eastleigh on 9th January so it must have been sent away to South Wales soon after.
It is a great achievement to have rescued two locomotives from the scrapyard and this is what has been done by the Ivatt Trust. The movement of 41313 to Quainton was undertaken by Leicester Heavy Haulage Ltd., and it was their second locomotive job with the transporter. The first, on 14th March, was the transfer of the Great Central Railway Director 4-4-0, 506 Butler Henderson from Clapham Museum to the Main Line Steam Trust at Quorn and Woodhouse station. Perhaps the second engine they moved was not quite as elegant as the first but it still gladdened the eye as it swept along the M50 Motorway, rumbled through Cheltenham and crept along the Buckinghamshire lanes through Whitchurch to Quainton Road. Welcome 41313!
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 28 October 2017