Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 25 - Autumn 1975

Departures from Quainton


qn_25_04.jpg (18,879 bytes)

Photo:
J R Fairman - Emblem on RH 277273


In 1960, at the Dinorwic Slate Quarry in North Wales a narrow gauge 0-4-0ST named Holy War occupied Lernion locomotive shed. This was the highest shed in the British Isles at an altitude of 1860 ft above sea level. A year later the engine was lowered to Penrhydd Bach, a mere 1270 ft above the sea. Rolling stock from the Quarries became available and was purchased by enthusiasts, Holy War being acquired by our member, John Hutchings.

Holy War arrived at Quainton on 20th March 1970 and received a careful overhaul so that it was able to be steamed for the first time for 3½ years on 23rd May 1971. It is still a very popular exhibit when drawn from its shed on open days.

John also brought to Quainton three quarry wagons. These were kept hidden away under tarpaulins alongside the container depot occupied by Holy War. One of these wagons was really a four seater passenger truck which was one of three used by the Royal Family in 1967 when they visited Dinorwic. This special truck and a slate wagon called a Wagan Llwythur with bobbin sides left Quainton on 15th March for the Brockham Narrow Gauge Museum near Dorking in Surrey. They are now owned by Mr Peter Nicholson. The second bobbin wagon had previously gone away from our depot to the Isle of Wight Narrow Gauge Museum near Newport.

The Ruston & Hornsby built four wheeled narrow gauge diesel locomotive, RM 277273 / 1949, which came to Quainton on 18th April 1973 has also departed. It has returned to Alan M Keef's premises at Cote Farm, Bampton, Oxon., where it has joined the large collection of this type of motive power which is Mr Keef's speciality. The Ruston left Quainton for its new home in January. It carried the emblem depicted on its cab side from its former owners in Kent.

Yet another departure from the Quainton scene is The Elephant, that ungainly Sentinel road tractor, S 5644/1924, whose activities we found fascinating when it steamed around our yards. Many will remember the sight and sound of the tractor when it worked at the Quay sidings at Teignmouth, Devon but that was more than 15 years ago. The Elephant has been sold and is now resident at Bishops Waltham, Hants. It made a welcome appearance at the Netley Marsh, Southampton, traction engine rally on 26th July and gave the Editor a touch of Quainton nostalgia in Hampshire!


Notes:
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1975 and so does not reflect events in the 40+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

Reference:
Departures from Quainton - Quainton News No. 25 - Autumn 1975


Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 28 October 2017