BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 26 - Winter 1975
BR(WR) 94XX Class 0-6-0PT No. 9466
One More for the Up Yard
On 25th September a very welcome addition to the locomotive stock at Quainton Road arrived at the up yard from Woodham Bros, Barry. The engine was 9466, the sole remaining example of the unsuperheated version of the Great Western Railway's '9400' Class of 0-6-0 Pannier tanks. It has been purchased for restoration by our member Steve Turner, of Coventry.
The design of the '9400' Class was a logical development of the '5700' Class which is represented at Quainton by our 7715. The most obvious difference is that 9466 has the higher pitched standard coned barrel boiler which is larger in diameter than the parallel barrel boiler on 7715. The length of the boiler tubes is identical on both classes and there are many other similarities, e.g., cylinders, 17½in diameter and 24 in stroke, wheels 4 ft 7½in, wheelbase 15 ft 6 in and the boiler pressure of both types is the same, 200 psi. The weight in full working order, 47.5 tons in the case of 7715 is exceeded by a further 7.85 tons and 9466 will have a maximum axle loading of 19.25 tons so we will need sound track in the up yard for the Big Pannier to run on!
The prototype engine of the class, 9400, was built at Swindon and entered traffic in February, 1947. It is now a static exhibit in the Museum at Swindon and is not very likely to steam again although the events of 1975 make such prophesies dangerous! 9466, on the other hand, has been rescued from the breaker's torch to become a working engine. It will, in due course, be a useful locomotive which will display that traditional G.W.R. appearance which many enthusiasts find so irresistible!
The first ten engines, 9400 to 9409, built at Swindon, were fitted with superheaters but this refinement is not justified on locomotives which are likely to spend much of their time shunting. In 1948 the programme to build 200 more '9400' Class engines was announced, 50 by Swindon and 150 by outside contractors, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, W. G. Bagnall, Yorkshire Engine Company, Hunslet and Hudswell Clarke. These engines were to be built as unsuperheated versions of the first ten and were to be numbered 9410 to 9499, 8400 to 8499 and 3400 to 3409. They would be the last GWR shunting engine before the advent of BR Standard classes and delivery started from Bagnalls (8400) and YEC (8450) in August, 1949. In the event, all 200 engines were built by contractors although boilers for some were made at Swindon. The last engine to be delivered was 3409 in October 1956, built by YEC as subcontractors to Hunslets. This was 2½ years before the first of the class, 8417, was withdrawn from service! The life of 9466 started in the Darlington Works of Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd. It was built under Lot J83 and entered service in February, 1952, after travelling dead from Darlington to Swindon via the Swinton & Knottingley Joint Line and Banbury. On 17th February it was noted in Swindon shed but within a few weeks it had reached its first shed, Worcester. This was its home for nearly nine years. Worcester, 85A, had a number of the 94XX tanks and they were used, not only for shunting and pilot work, but on local passenger and freight duties including the Malvern and Evesham turns and the Bromyard branch freight. 9466 went away to Bristol, St. Philips Marsh, in January 1961, but prior to its transfer it received an overhaul in Wolverhampton works where it was noted in November 1960.
The demise of steam on the Great Western was in full spate in the early 1960's and engines of the 94XX Class were becoming redundant. Some were withdrawn and scrapped and some were stored at Swindon and elsewhere pending a decision on their fate. In November 1960 fifty of the class were sold to private dealers for scrap. This was the start of the mass disposal of engines of the class over the ensuing five years. Nine of the fifty were sold to Woodham Bros of Barry, this firm having started buying locomotives for scrap from the Western in March 1959 (2-6-0's 5312/60/92/7). 9466 was not among the earlier casualties. In June 1962 it was transferred from Bristol to Tondu depot in South Wales and in July 1963 it made its final move, to Radyr, 88B. Duties at these two sheds were similar and comprised trip work and yard shunting. These activities were taken over by diesel motive power, 350 h.p. shunters and Class 37's, and 9466 was withdrawn in July 1964. Its working life of less than 12½ years was tragically short but it was longer than many of the same class. For example, 3404 was built in March 1956 and was withdrawn in July 1962 after a mere 6¼ years.
9466 was sold to Woodhams, Barry where it took up residence by the end of October 1964. It spent 11 years in the famous scrapyard; nearly as long as it spent in active service!
Several proposals to rescue the engine have been made in the past few years. 9466 was one of the engines which was earmarked for the abortive Eastern Valleys Railway Company. Later, it became a candidate for the Swanage Railway and it attracted the interest of the present owners at that time. A considerable amount of corrosion prevention work has been undertaken while the locomotive has been at Barry and the red oxide which has been liberally applied to the tanks, cab and bunker has kept the rust at bay.
These are early days to forecast the extent of restoration work necessary on 9466 but a superficial examination suggests the engine is one of the best preserved examples to emerge from the graveyard.
Good luck to this latest arrival in the up yard. We will watch the progress on the overhaul work with interest.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 04 November 2017