BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News archive - Quainton News No. 34 - Spring 1978
The Job Creation Programme - Improvement Scheme, Phase II at Quainton
It is very good news to be able to report that The Manpower Services Commission
has approved our most recent programme of improvements and
allocated a sum of up to £22,600 for eight workers to be employed up to
the end of 1978. An additional sum has also been made available to offset
specific costs including £1,885 for materials and supplies.
The projects which will be concentrated on are the following: -
- Clearing the up yard headshunt and erecting a fence alongside the track
after it has been moved over a few feet. If locomotives are available some
steaming may take place on Open Days along this track.
- Further work on the Wembley Building which, on completion will only
leave the main doors and the cladding. If funds permit the cladding will
also be done. In the programme the framework will have additional
bracing fixed and the structure will be concreted down, walkways will be
laid and walls, about 6ft high will be built from the foundations.
- The building work on the machine shop will be finished.
- Under Mike Gorden's guidance some repairs and restoration will be
carried out to the rolling stock now used on Open Days while Mike will
devote his attention to the LNWR Kitchen-Diner. Further work may
depend on the standard of the craftsmanship available.
- A raised walkway will be built alongside the LNWR Diner to permit
visitors to view the interior of the coach through the windows.
- Paths and fencing will be laid and improved along the west side of the site.
- General site tidying and improvements will be carried out.
- The locomotive inspection pit in the up yard will be renovated.
- Some additional work will be carried out on the up yard building.
- If funds permit the water column will be erected in the up yard.
- Again, if funds allow the materials cost, a locomotive pit will be constructed in the down yard.
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1978 and so does not reflect events in the 37+ years
since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar
changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans
in this internet version of this long out of print publication.
The Job Creation Programme - Improvement Scheme, Phase II at Quainton - Quainton News No. 34 - Spring 1978
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 17 November 2017