Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 38 - Spring / Summer 1979

The New Coaching Stock


qn_38_02.jpg (53,975 bytes)

Photo:
N J Halliday - For Refreshments - W64


John Parsons has kindly sent particulars of the three latest items which came in by road - from temporary storage at Bicester earlier last Winter.

First of these vehicles is the Collett Gangwayed Passenger Brake Van, No. 64, specially purchased by the Society for conversion - to be our Kitchen / Refreshment Room. It is pictured above in the former up side cattle dock at Quainton Road, where it is undergoing its modification - from a mundane van to a valuable asset for visitors and members alike.

The bogie van was one of a series built at Swindon to Diagram K44 and appeared in August 1941 under Lot 1667. All these vans were of the same outline profile and had similar window design as the 1938-built corridor passenger stock. They were frequently used on principal passenger trains and our W64 still retains its destination board brackets.

From 1935 onwards, all passenger brake vans, except Ocean Mails stock, were painted at Swindon in an all-brown livery without any lining, but 64 had subsequently been repainted in BR blue and this was the colour of the paintwork on arrival at our depot.

No. 64 had a full length internal partition and two large windows on either side of the guard's compartment, but the conversion work now in hand will, of course, change the layout somewhat!


qn_38_03.jpg (62,397 bytes)

Photo:
R B Miller - The LMS Open Second Coach


The second new arrival is a LMS Standard Gangwayed Vestibule Open Coach, formerly 27162, later SO, M27162. It has been privately purchased by members and, although it is similar to other coaches on the Severn Valley and Strathspey Railways, it is good to have an example of one of the LMS standard 1938 design vehicles at Quainton. Furthermore, M27162 has had an interesting history! It was built at Wolverhampton in 1945 to Diagram 1999 under Lot 1401 and was, in fact, one of the first coaches built by the LMS after the last war. This accounts for the choice of the 1938 design with certain detail changes and it is noteworthy that a total of 350 second class open coaches were built to this pattern between 1945 and 1948.

In 1951, British Railways introduced their standard coaches, of which we have three examples at Quainton. The pre-grouping Company's stock was progressively withdrawn from the early 1960's and all had disappeared by 1968. except those which had been transferred to service or other special work.

The Quainton example, M27162, was converted into an exhibition coach and renumbered 38746M. In this new guise it was hired by manufacturers to display their goods or used by organisations for publicity as a part of a mobile train, which was frequently specially painted to suit the user. Many will have seen these vehicles in bay platforms or in sidings on these duties and some readers will know that Wimborne station in Dorset was the place where fitting out was carried out. 38746, latterly S38746, was purchased from BR in June 1978.


qn_38_04.jpg (49,694 bytes)

Photo:
R B Miller - LNWR Main Line Coach, No. 2997


Third of our coaching stock acquisitions is a genuine London and North Western Railway main line passenger coach which has been purchased by the Great Central Railway Coach Group. It was built at Wolverton in 1920 as No. 2997 and was one of a series of 100 coaches constructed between 1914 and 1920 for normal express passenger duties. They were to be found on most main line trains from Euston, until the late 1940's, but then were relegated to secondary duties and were withdrawn from service in the early 1950's.

No. 2997 had become LMS 8107 and later 4772, but it was withdrawn in April 1955 and converted to become a Riding and Tool Van for the Motive Power Department, where it served at Bletchley depot. As DM 395136 it was taken out of use in 1978 and it has arrived at Quainton in the red Departmental colours used by this stock. Restoration to passenger-carrying condition is the worthwhile objective of members of the GCR Coach Group and we wish them well in this project.


Notes:
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1979 and so does not reflect events in the 35+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

Reference:
The New Coaching Stock - Quainton News No. 38 - Spring / Summer 1979


Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 17 November 2017