BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 38 - Spring / Summer 1979
The Wotton Tramway: Rise and Fall Part 14 - More about the D Class 2-4-0T's
In the last issue the locomotive pictured, No. 75, was one of the last batch of four engines built with condensing equipment and Cortazzi control for the leading axle. Pictured above is No. 71 which was one of the first two of the class which did not have the condensing gear and had radial guides for the leading axle boxes. This photograph was sent by Peter Smith of Solihull and is reproduced with the permission of the Locomotive Club of Great Britain who hold the copyright. The date of the picture is 1916 and it shows that the cabs of the first two D's extended to the full width of the tanks and the bunkers, although extended, as No. 75, are different in profile. No. 71 also appears to carry a different boiler to No. 75.
Mr Peter Smith has an '0' gauge model of Brill station and he has asked if we can answer a number of interesting questions. Can you help, please?
1. What colours were the station painted?
2. When was the semi-circular roof of the goods shed replaced?
3. Were the wagon turntables removed when the track was relaid in 1894?
4. Was there a crane permanently in the yard?
5. How many wagons did George Green have and what livery did they carry?
6. What was the livery of the Stevco and Ricketts wagons?
7. Were conventional brake vans ever used on the branch?
8. What colours were Met and LNER station signs?
9. When was the two road engine shed built?
10. What livery was first carried by Huddersfield and did it have this at the time of the tramway?
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 17 November 2017