BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 39 - Autumn / Winter 1980
Another Box Van for Quainton
Our stock book shows that we had only five box vans at Quainton before the new arrival pictured above. Two of these are ex Midland Railway vans, which were acquired from MOD Bicester, AD 47251 and 47271, one is the converted ex GWR open wagon, also from Bicester, and the fourth is the Midland No. 34676, which is at present in use as a mobile staging for access to the roof structure of the Wembley building. Finally, we had the fourth Bicester van, ex LSWR, AD 47253.
The latest vehicle also has its origins in the Midland Railway, because it is to a Derby design - although it was built at Wolverton in 1925 by the LMS. In fact, it is very similar to 34676, built in 1922. The newly arrived 12 ton Standard Van is LMS 327466 and it was moved by road from Banbury early in August. Its last general repair was at Derby in June 1954 and it was latterly used as a stores vehicle at Banbury locomotive depot. After the shed closed it was moved up to the station goods yard for use by mechanical staff servicing the resident Class 08 diesel shunter. They kept oil and some spares in it until it was condemned in March, offered for sale and purchased by the QRS.
The van has been moved into the Sentinel Group's section of the up yard restoration building and is already in use by the Group for spares, etc. Of special interest and usefulness to the ageing members of the Sentinel Group is the staircase up to the sliding door!
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 17 November 2017