Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 44 - Spring / Summer 1981

Carriage and Wagon Notes


qn_44_22.jpg (72,063 bytes)

Photo:
P Johnston - Restoration of the LCDR Coach


The old faithfuls, the GNR, MSLR and LNWR six-wheelers, continue to give good service on Open Days, but at least they are now afforded the luxury of covered accommodation in the Wembley Building. The LNWR Brake has suffered a lot from exposure and roof recanvassing is high on the agenda. The Chatham gang are making a wonderful job of restoration on the LCDR First and thanks to Mick Rolley for the lettering.

On the Gresley front, 41384 is being lined and lettered and compartments are being covered in Rexine. The oval mirror donated by the Sentinel boys is much appreciated. Rewiring is the current job and a visit to Bird's scrapyard for a dynamo and control unit is planned. The Carstairs Control Coach, Gresley Corridor Third 3188, is at present at Bicester awaiting transfer to Quainton with KDM 395344 (which arrived there in March). This latter vehicle was Open Third LMS 7820 and was one of the first LMS coaches, built in 1924, Lot 94, Diag. 1353. It is actually of Midland Railway design and still retains many MR fittings. Its use at Quainton will be as an additional refreshment car, coupled to W64W.

At the August Holiday weekend three wagons were run as a demonstration goods train. They had been given a quick repaint by the Loco Dept Saturday Wagon Club and comprised one of the LNER five-plank open wagons, the Laporte's wagon and the Midland goods brake van, 1692.

LT Car 54233 and an LT goods brake van from West Ruislip are expected to arrive on 10th October, behind an LT battery electric locomotive, and will be transferred to the up yard by a track slew. Some good work has been done by Bob Smith on painting the Mk. Is in standard QRS maroon livery and it is planned to have these coaches in sound order for 1983. An LNWR Inspection Saloon body, built as a Sleeping Saloon, dating from 1897 and converted in 1905, is also due to arrive in the autumn from Bedford and is to be mated with the GNSR chassis. Two other LNWR bodies, one a Picnic Saloon, are also coming from Wolverton.


Notes:
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1981 and so does not reflect events in the 33+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

Reference:
Carriage and Wagon Notes - Quainton News No. 44 - Spring / Summer 1981


Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 18 November 2017