Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Logo

BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 46 - Spring / Summer 1982

More Coaches and Wagons to Come


Six more coaches have been discovered by eagle eyed members on the look out for rare examples of pre-grouping or pre-nationalisation vehicles.

While searching for bogie bolsters for the Granada filming, Paul Johnston found a very nice Gresley eight compartment non-corridor compartment coach, LNER 81245, latterly DE 320832, at Temple Mills. It was built by the Gloucester C&W Co. in 1923/24 for the Scottish section and was originally push and pull fitted. Later it was moved south to work on the Fenchurch St. line before it was electrified. In more recent years it has been used by the Engineer's Department for a track laying team and has sleeping berths in four compartments - one is a store and three have been gutted. Paul reports that the coach is in remarkably good condition and will only need two new compartment divisions, which he already has in stock from other condemned departmental coaches, including the pair to the one purchased. Later this year the new Gresley should move to Quainton.

The GC Coach Group has unearthed two vehicles, both, of course, of GCR origin. The first is an open saloon of the type nicknamed Barnums, which they found at Hull, Alexandra Dock, in use as a greenhouse. It is complete, but the interior has been stripped out and the rotten wood flooring testifies to the effect on wood of some of the well known brands of fertiliser! Much of the original panelling is intact and, fortunately, the roof is sound inside. They have not yet established the number of the vehicle. A second GCR carriage, an eight compartment suburban coach, has also been located at the same docks, in use, latterly, as a paint store and, like the Barnum, has been at Hull since the 1950s. It was built in the early 1900s and is similar to 957 at Quainton.

Kim Brooker has been given the all clear to bring these coaches to the site. He already has another GCR coach, No. 652, which he is working on at Banbury, pending moving it to Quainton. 652 is a ten compartment vehicle of the 1913/15 period.

Lastly, the London Underground Rolling Stock Trust- a small group of Quainton members, Dave Alexander, Jim Stevens, Michael Smith and B Ammans - are trying to raise funds to purchase from LT O Stock a End Driving Coach, 53028 (CO). which entered service in October 1938 as 13028 - and P stock, a End Trailer, 013063 (COP), which dates from July 1938. Both have been reserved and are being held at Ruislip. David has the idea that these vehicles would be very suitable, with their double doors, to give disabled people train rides - and the Trust hope to be able to help those who are at Stoke Mandeville Hospital if the scheme comes to fruition. Subject to the formation of a Charitable Trust, the Executive Committee have agreed to accommodate the two LT coaches at our depot.

All these coaches are additional to the two now at Bicester waiting to come to Quainton; the Carstairs coach 31874 (TK 3188) and the LMS 7820, detailed in Quainton News No. 44. We also have the Esso tank car, 1869, waiting at Bicester since November last year and there is news of another wagon, an 8 tons cattle wagon, B893928, built at Swindon in 1953, Lot No. 2325. Both wagons are to be brought into the down yard. Movements are likely in July from Bicester, but others will probably come to the up yard after the end of the, Granada filming.


Notes:
The text in this Quainton Railway Society publication was written in 1982 and so does not reflect events in the 32+ years since publication. The text and photographs are repeated verbatim from the original publication, with only a few minor grammar changes but some clarifying notes are added if deemed necessary. The photos from the original publication are provided as scans in this internet version of this long out of print publication.

Reference:
More Coaches and Wagons to Come - Quainton News No. 46 - Spring / Summer 1982


Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Email Webmaster
Page Updated: 18 November 2017