BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Quainton Publications
Quainton Stock List 1969 - 2nd Edition
Amendment Sheet - February 1970
Since this Stocklist was first prepared the following new items have arrived, or are expected, at Quainton.
A standard Great Western Pannier Tank of the 57xx class, built in large numbers by the old GWR. This one, number 7715, was built in 1930 by Kerr Stuart & Co, California Works, Stoke-On-Trent, works number 4450. It worked on the GWR and later British Railways until 1963, when it was sold to London Transport for departmental duties; one of many LT purchased around this time. It was purchased by the Society in January 1970 and arrived at Quainton on 2nd January. Its London Transport running number was L99.
A six-coupled, outside cylindered saddle tank Locomotive, built by the Avonside Engine Co, Bristol in 1933, works number 2068. Robert worked all his life at Lamport Ironstone Quarries in Northamptonshire. Purchased by Mr P Elms in 1969 and will be moved to Quainton in early 1970.
A large saddle tank Locomotive, built by the Yorkshire Engine Co, Meadow Hall Works, Sheffield, in 1951, works number 2498. Delivered new to Samuel Fox, Stocksbridge, Yorkshire where it worked up until 1957, when it was sold to the National Coal Board, Chislet Colliery, Kent. It worked here until the end of 1969 when the Colliery closed, and was then purchased by two members for preservation. It arrived at Quainton on 6th January 1970.
A diminutive one foot ten and three quarter inch gauge 0-4-0 saddle tank Locomotive built by the Hunslet Engine Co, Leeds in 1902, works number 779. Holy War worked all its life at the Dinorwic slate quarries, Llanberis, North Wales. Purchased by a member it will arrive at Quainton during the early part of 1970 and will run on a short narrow gauge line to be laid later.
A Six-wheel Brake third coach built in 1895 by the Great Northern Railway. It vas latterly used as a departmental vehicle based at Hitchin. Purchased by the Society in 1963 and stored on a temporary siding until 1970, when it was moved to Quainton, arriving on January 13th.
This was a typed and duplicated list, the quality of which very much reflects the technology of the day. It is presented here for historical interest only.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 21 October 2017