Ordered on the 22nd May 1933 for the Staveley Coal and Iron Ltd for use at their Lamport Calcine Sidings, Hanging Houghton, Northants, where she worked all her working life, until September 1969. She bore the name Lamport No. 3 for most of this time. Plant number 8310/19 was allocated in April 1966. No. 2068 was sold privately in September 1969. Robert arrived at Quainton March 1970 after storage at the LRPS London Road Garage.
Robert left Quainton for the Foxfield Light Railway, Dilhorne, Staffordshire, on the 3rd October 1971, before moving to the Peak Railway and the Midland Railway, where she gained the number 8 and the name Robert. Sold to the Dockland Development Corporation in late 1993 for the Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Robert was then plinthed for several years at the Windsor Terrace entrance to Beckton Gasworks. Ownership passed to Newham B.C. when the D.C.C. was disbanded in early 1999. When building work started in the area, it was moved to a plinth in front of the Stratford, East London, station complex, on the Great Eastern Road and Meridian Square, after renovation by the Kew Bridge Steam Museum in 2000. It is painted red, similar to the original Beckton Gasworks locomotives.
On 9th March 2008 it was then temporarily moved to the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne in Suffolk whilst work was carried out around Stratford station in preparation for the Olympics in 2012. Robert was painted in a new crimson livery whilst at the East Anglia Railway Museum. The livery used to repaint Robert is known as Colchester Crimson and was supplied by the same company which supplied paint to Great Eastern Railways. The livery is believed to be as close a match as possible to the original.
Current Location - Stratford Station, East London
|Builder :-||Robert Avonside||Date Built :-||1933||Works No. :-||2068|
|Running No. :-||
Lamport No. 3
|Wheel Arrangement :-||0-6-0ST|
|Tractive Effort :-||- lb||Boiler Pressure :-||- psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||-" x -"|
|Weight :-||-t -c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||-' -"|
Text © Quainton Railway
Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced
Page Updated: 22 April 2013