BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST No. 14
Immediately recognisable as a Manning Wardle & Co. locomotive by the almost square shape of the saddle tank, No. 14 was built at their Boyne Engine Works, Jack Lane, Hunslett, Leeds.
It is believed the first owner may have been T W Ward of Sheffield, although they may have been acting as agents for John Lysaght, at whose Normanby Park Steel Works, Scunthorpe the engine was working by January 1913. Possibly later the same year came a transfer to the Wensley Lime Company at Wensley Quarries, Preston-under-Scar in Yorkshire. The Wensley Lime Company had the engine rebuilt in 1936 by Ridley Shaw & Co Ltd of Middlesborough.
The number 14 was acquired in May 1957 after a further change of ownership to the South Durham Steel & Iron Co. It was finally purchased for preservation from their Irchester ironstone mines in Northamptonshire, arriving at Quainton on the 27th August 1969.
Work commenced and she was named Brill, recognising the fact that Manning Wardle locomotives had been used on the Brill Tramway that started from Quainton Road. After a few years No. 14 was sold to the Northamptonshire Ironstone Railway and laid derelict there for many years, before being purchased by a new owner and returned to Quainton in October 1998. She underwent some restoration, during which the name Brill was removed.
She left Quainton in March 2005 moving on to the Chinnor and Princess Risborough Railway. Subsequently in April 2006 another move took the locomotive to the Middleton Railway, Hunslett, Leeds, where extensive restoration is well underway. Full details of the restoration progress to date can be found here, this website also explains a little more about the convoluted history of the locomotive. The locomotive has now been renamed E B Wilson, after the owner of the Railway Foundary Leeds, a forerunner company of Manning Wardle.
Current Location - Barrow Hill Roundhouse, Staveley near Chesterfield, Derbyshire
|Builder :-||Manning Wardle & Co.||Date Built :-||June 1912||Works No. :-||1795|
|Running No. :-||14||Name :-||Brill||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0ST|
|Tractive Effort :-||12, 693 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||160 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||14" x 20"|
|Weight :-||-||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||3' 1½"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 02 October 2017