BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Industrial Locomotives - Steam Locomotives
Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 6515 Isebrook
This Sentinel engine is similar to the LNER Y1 class (BR Nos. 68130 - 68153) introduced in 1925. It has a direct chain drive between the crankshaft and axles. Delivered new to the GWR, it was taken into stock as their No. 12 on 1 October 1926. Fitted with equipment for working train vacuum brakes and steam heating, it was based at Swindon for use on the Malmesbury branch, and then sent to work at Brentford Goods Yard. These trials were not successful and the loco was taken out of stock in December 1926, being returned to Sentinel the following month.
Modifications were carried out in 1927, including the fitting of a larger boiler, which enabled further trials, including passenger working, to take place on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway during the latter part of the year. The loco then returned to the GWR where more trials were undertaken on the Malmesbury Branch on 2 October 1927. During these trials a speed of 38 mph was attained, hauling a train of three four-wheel coaches, taking just 16½ minutes to cover the 6½ miles from Malmesbury to Dauntsey. The loco then returned to Shrewsbury, where it was used by Sentinel as a works shunter until April 1929, when once more it underwent trials, this time on the LMS at Shrewsbury. More works shunting followed until it was sold in October 1934 to Thomas E. Grey Ltd. of Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire, where it was numbered 2 and carried the name Isebrook. It worked until 1958 when a more modern Sentinel replacement arrived.
The boiler and parts of the engine were removed and it was used as a brake van until condemned in 1972, shortly afterwards being purchased for preservation and moved to Quainton on 31st May 1972. Restoration work took seven years and included fitting a reconditioned boiler and engine unit, extensive bodywork replacement as well as a complete renewal of pipework. The first steaming for over twenty years took place on 26 August 1979. The locomotive was restored to lined black livery. During 1981 vacuum brake equipment was refitted enabling light passenger trains to be worked.
Isebrook left Quainton on 31st May 2001 for Rosemary Vineyards on the Isle of Wight, before moving onto the Lavender Line. June 2008 saw her return to Quainton. During 2009 vacuum brake equipment was again refitted enabling light passenger trains to be worked. Isebrook spent the summer of 2012 at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway. A short visit was also made to the Didcot Railway Centre.
Isebrook started its 10-year overhaul early in 2013, being stripped down to the chassis for overhaul.
|Builder :-||Sentinel||Date Built :-||1926||Works No. :-||6515|
|Running No. :-||2||Name :-||Isebrook||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0T|
|Tractive Effort :-||5, 960 / 15, 960 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||275 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||6¾" x 9"|
|Weight :-||20t 17c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||2' 6"||Owner :-||QRS Member|
|Status :-||Operational||Location :-||Down Yard Shed||Accession Number :-||N/A|
|Arrival Date :-||1972 and 2008|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 15 September 2017