BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Where are they now?
Peckett 0-4-0ST No. 1756 Hornpipe
Hornpipe was delivered to the Holborough Cement Co. Ltd of Snodland, Kent (later part of APCM Ltd) where it shared work with a variety of locomotives until 1971, when it was replaced by a diesel.
The engine was purchased by a Quainton Railway Society member, arriving at Quainton on 8th August 1972. It was stored for a period before being sold to another member who completed restoration work. The locomotive re-entered service during the 1980 season, working at Quainton for a number of years.
In May 1987 Hornpipe moved to a private site in Berkshire, where it has been maintained in operational condition. In July 2012 Hornpipe visited the Mid Suffolk Railway for a short visit, calling in at Ipswich Docks on static display on route.
Current Location - Fifield, Berkshire (Private Site)
|Builder :-||Peckett||Date Built :-||1928||Works No. :-||1756|
|Running No. :-||-||Name :-||Hornpipe||Wheel Arrangement :-||0-4-0ST|
|Tractive Effort :-||12, 017 lb||Boiler Pressure :-||160 psi||Cylinder Dimensions :-||12" x 18"|
|Weight :-||23t 0c||Driving Wheel Dia. :-||2' 9"|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 30 September 2017