BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News archive - Quainton News No. 37 - Winter 1978 / 9
This Time by Road
On 1st December the third of three additional coaches moved from the MODAD Depot at Bicester to Quainton by road and was offloaded in the up yard by the pair of cranes hired specially for lifting the Hall boiler. This was the long awaited Catering Vehicle, W64 which is a Passenger Brake Van of GWR origin, formerly a gangwayed Brake but since altered and now without corridor connections. This vacuum braked, steam heated vehicle has wooden frames and GWR bogies and was built at Swindon, probably in 1938. It may be placed into the Restoration Building for modification but the alternative strategy is to use the dock where power is available. Hopefully it will be in the former cattle dock and ready to serve the public at our Easter Open Days but there is a lot to be done and the time is all too short. Your help in finding suitable display cabinets, appliances and equipment is earnestly sought and John Carter will be delighted to have news of these items so that he can plan ahead with the final layout.
The other two coaches arrived on the two previous days; the LMS Open Third on 29th November and the LNWR Composite Corridor on the 30th. They have added more colour to the up yard, because W64 is in BR Blue, the Open Third in Exhibition Coach red and white livery with a horizontal orange and yellow band and the CK in Departmental stock all red.
The Open Third was formerly LMS 271762 and was built at Wolverton in 1945. It is similar to M27218M and M27220M on the Severn Valley but has been gutted internally for use as an Exhibition coach, S38746. Chris Britten is the owner.
The LNWR CK is ADM 395136 and was built in 1920. It has been used latterly as a Riding Van in the Motive Power Department, LMR and is owned by a group of Quainton members led by John Parsons. More photographs of these additions to the Stocklist will appear next time.
In Quainton News No. 26 page 21, the Goods Van, SNSO 807 was stated as having come from RNAD Bedenham. This should have read, HM Dockyard, Portsmouth.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 17 November 2017