BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 46 - Spring / Summer 1982
The Demonstration Goods Train
The operation of a string of loose coupled assorted goods vehicles has become a feature of many preservation centres and usually evokes much nostalgia with the clang of buffers and the protesting squeals of the elderly freight wagons. Our own train at Quainton is made even more fascinating by the contrast in size between the locomotive normally used, Frank Boait's diminutive Peckett, and the towering high sided Laporte wagon often marshalled next to it.
This article is concerned with the two wagons which perhaps startled some visitors at Easter who hadn't previously realised that we own two LNER 10 tons, five plank open wagons, both originating on the old Great Eastern Railway. Now they have been repaired and repainted, one as NE 609085 and the other as GE 7612. Both numbers are authentic, because they were found stamped on the sole bars. GE 7612 was built in 1914 and became LNER 629363 in 1923, but, so far, we do not have the GER number of 609085. The two wagons came to Quainton in July 1971, purchased from MOD Bicester and numbered AD 46021 (GE 7612) and AD 46378 (NE 609085).
A careful examination of 609085 shows that it retains its original ratchet arrangement for securing the hand brake lever, whereas 7612 now has the more usual pin and holes design. The former wagon has buffer blocks to check the bottom hinged side doors as they are dropped to open them, but 7612 has an interesting system to stop the doors banging down. At the bottom of each door is a hinged arm linked under the wagon body with springs - so that, when the doors are dropped open, the springs are compressed, thereby reducing or avoiding damage to the doors.
Both wagons have their original GER wheels and sets, but LNER buffers are fitted, except on one corner of 7612 where there is still a GER buffer. Also on 7612 one of the iron straps on the wagon side has GER stamped on it. Before repainting, in smart grey livery with white lettering, some replanking was carried out and on 7612 the floorboards were turned over. There is no doubt that these two wagons are a useful and interesting pair. Well done the restorers!
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 18 November 2017