BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 47 - Autumn 1982
Lighting of Waddesden with Gas: The village of Waddesdon, near Aylesbury, has recently been lighted with gas by the Provincial Gas and Lighting Works Limited. The works are situated in an eligible spot 100 yards from the main street - and there is surplus land for future extensions. The plant is of modern construction throughout, complete and of adequate capacity for its purpose. The town lamps (metered in ample proportion) are already alight; the cost being defrayed by Jubilee subscriptions. The works have been constructed, without the aid of local capital, from plans prepared by Mr A F Painter of Teddington, who superintended their erection. Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, MP, whose seat is situated on a commanding eminence above the town, has liberally patronized the gas for his cart stables, dairy farm, reading room and other properties. It is expected that next winter will witness a considerable consumption of gas in the various hotels, schools and chapels of the village, as well as in the parish church.
(Journal of Gas Lighting, Water Supply and Sanitary Improvement - 27th March 1868)
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 09 December 2017