BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 59 - Spring 1986
That's the Ticket
Quainton News has not featured tickets before, although there are many who are very interested in this aspect of the railway hobby.
Fifty years ago, on 2nd April 1936, an auction sale was held at stations along the Brill branch from Quainton Road. It was conducted by Messrs. Burrows and Bradfield of Thame and their task was to dispose of the property and effects of the Oxford and Aylesbury Tramroad Company, which had closed to all traffic on 1st December 1935. Tickets issued by the Oxford and Aylesbury Tramroad in 1899, before the Metropolitan Railway took over the working of the line to Brill on 1st December of that year, were only for stations on the branch. The [upper] left illustration is for a ticket issued on 3rd April 1899. In the [upper] centre is a ticket for a through journey from Brill to Baker Street, issued on 6th August 1900, nine months after the Metropolitan assumed responsibility for the operation of the Tramroad - and it had, for all practical purposes, become a branch of the London company.
On 2nd April 1906, the Metropolitan and Great Central Joint Committee was legalised by Act of Parliament to administer all the railways used by the two companies between Harrow and Verney Junction, including the branches to Brill and to Chesham. Tickets showing the Great Central's interest in the Brill line are believed to have been issued from 1912, although the working arrangements were not concluded until June 1913. The ticket, shown above right, is dated 1935, only a few days before the Brill branch closed. It was reproduced in the 'Daily Sketch' and we are obliged to Eric Miller for bringing it to our notice.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 18 November 2017