BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook
Quainton News Archive - Quainton News No. 66 - Winter 1989 / 90
Small Relics - Significant Additions to the Museum by Alan Vessey
Significant Additions to the Museum
The 150th anniversary of the opening of the Aylesbury Rly Co. (1839) was marked with a small display, with details of construction problems (lack of "ballast engines", given by Robert Stephenson), maps and plates. The arrangements for the opening day are shown, together with some relics, including Stephenson's gradient post at "1 in 5736"(!) from Marston Gate.
Other additions include:
l) a well detailed Oxford to Aylesbury Tramroad '0' gauge model train comprising Manning Wardle 0-6-0 Brill No. l in red lake, the 4-wheel verandah coach, and the 2-plank wagons for collection of milk churns along the line (mainly scratchbuilt by Mr. Smith);
2) from the personal collection of member John Reed a number of local items including a well restored Met. Rly coach door, the oil lamp & holder from the Quainton Road booking hall, LNER door panel, and a blue Aylesbury sign (from a Quainton flowerbed). John has also generously loaned items such as a Verney Junction station nameboard, LMSR coach crest and a pair of temporary LPTB paper ring & bar signs put up in 1945 at Wendover and Stoke Mandeville Met & GC Joint Stations.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 27 November 2017