BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Quainton Publications
Quainton Stock List 1969 - 2nd Edition
Section One - Locomotives
Metropolitan Railway 0-4-4 Side Tank Locomotive, Class E
Upon building this Locomotive was given the number 1, replacing one of the famous Metropolitan Railway 4-4-0 tanks built by Beyer Peacock. The Seven engines of the E class worked the heaviest Main Line trains of the Metropolitan Railway for over twenty years before they were replaced by larger Tank Locomotives. Number 1 is especially famous for working the first Passenger Train over the Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan Railway in July 1904. It also played a leading role in the Metropolitan Railway Centenary Celebrations at Neasden in May 1963.
When the London Passenger Transport Board took over the Metropolitan Railway in 1933 number 1 was re-numbered L-44. Its latter years were spent on engineering trains and goods transfer work around Neasden, and it survived to be one of the last two Metropolitan Railway Steam Locomotives in service. Fortunately, the Society were able to raise funds for the purchase of this worthy veteran and it was secured for preservation in 1963. It was delivered in. steam to Luton depot on 20th March 1964. During 1968 L-44 (as it is now called) was loaned to British Rail and took part in the Midland Railway London Extension Centenary Celebrations Exhibition at Bedford. After this event it was put into store on a private siding in the Aylesbury district. It will be moved to Quainton when our rail connection is put in.
London & South Western Raiway 2-4-0 well tank Locomotive, number 314. Designed by W G Beattie and built by Beyer Peacock & Co., Gorton Foundry, Manchester, in May 1874, work number 1414
This was one of a batch of twelve "329" class Locomotives built in 1874-1875 for suburban passenger duties on the London & South Western Railway. Water is carried in two 'well' tanks, one located beneath the coal bunker and the other beneath the boiler. In latter years three engines of this class were especially retained for working on the Wenford Bridge mineral line in Cornwall. This branch line is very lightly laid and the only suitable Locomotives to work it were the "329" class. The three retained for this work in fact outlived all the other members of their class by over fifty years. Number 314 has been extensively renewed during its long career. It was rebuilt in May 1899, August 1921 and June 1931. It was renumbered 0314 in July 1901 and was again renumbered 3314 by the Southern Railway in 1936, finally becoming 30585 under British Railways ownership.
Upon withdrawal in 1963 it was purchased for preservation by the Society and arrived by rail at Bishops Stortford depot on 19th March 1964. It arrived at Quainton on 9th May 1969 and work on its restoration has now commenced.
Hudswell Clarke & Co, Ltd. Railway Foundry, Leeds 0-6-0 Side Tank Locomotive built in 1918 works number 1334
Sir Thomas was delivered new to the Oxfordshire Ironstone company of Banbury, Oxon, in April 1918 being the first Locomotive owned by the company. It is named after Sir Thomas Pope, the first owner of Wroxton Abbey which is close to the companies workings. Sir Thomas was soon joined by other large Locomotives and they were all employed on hauling Iron Ore trains from the workings at Wroxton down to the exchange sidings with the Great Western Railway at Pen Hill, near Banbury, a distance of about five miles. At the peak of operations over twenty Steam Locomotives were owned and operated by the Company and all were kept in superb condition. When the Ironstone company dieselised their railway all of the Steam Locomotives were scrapped with the exception of the pioneer Sir Thomas. Largely through the efforts of Mr Eric Tonks of the Industrial Railway Society this Locomotive was presented by the company to the Society for preservation and it arrived at Quainton on 1st June 1969.
Hunslet Engine Co Ltd, Hunslet Engine Works, Leeds, 0-6-0 Saddle Tank built in 1958, works number 3850
This Locomotive, one of the last Industrial Steam Locomotives to be built in this Country, is built to the very successful design developed for use by the Ministry of Supply in World War II. Due to this wartime connection these Locomotives are usually referred to as Austerities. The design was so sound however that in post-war years large numbers were built for Industrial use, many still being at work for the National Coal Board. They are, perhaps, the most successful Industrial Locomotive design ever constructed. Juno was delivered new to Stewarts & Lloyds Minerals Division for work in the Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands. It spent all of its short working life between Buckminster and Market Overton Ironstone Quarries. The policy of Modernization and Dieselisation have made even a 'youngster' like Juno redundant and it was purchased for preservation by members R Miller & P Clarke. It arrived at Quainton on 31st May 1969, and will be seen in steam in the near future.
Hunslet Engine Co Ltd, Hunslet Engine Works, Leeds 0-6-0 Saddle Tank built in 1931, works number 1690
Cunarder was one of a batch of six-coupled saddle tanks supplied by Hunslets for the Southampton Docks extension contract of the early 1930's. The design of the Locomotive is eminently suitable for working over lightly laid temporary track such as is found on contract work. A short wheelbase is utilized and the cylinders and valve gear are placed outside the frames and wheels to facilitate examination and repair without going over a pit. After the completion of the Docks contract Cunarder was used on many other contracts throughout the country and was eventually sold to the Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers for use at their Harbury Cement works, near Leamington Spa. Here it worked until 1968, latterly as a spare to a diesel Locomotive. Upon withdrawal it was purchased for preservation by three members, Mr G Mimms, Mr D Britton and Mr G Kingham. Cunarder arrived at Quainton on 24th April 1969, and has already been stripped off for a thorough overhaul.
Originally constructed by Kerr Stuart & Co Ltd, California Works, Stoke-On-Trent in 1929 works number 4428. Completed and modified by the Hunslet Engine Co Ltd, Hunslet Engine Works, Leeds, before sale in 1932, works number R 4428
This very interesting Locomotive was one of the first Standard gauge Diesel Locomotives built in this country. The firm of Kerr Stuart at Stoke-On-Trent were one of the many builders of Industrial Steam Locomotives in the early years of this century. In 1929 they built two experimental Standard Gauge Diesel Locomotives one with six wheels and the other with four. The six-wheeled example was sold in 1929 but the other remained at Stoke while various modifications were tried on the transmission which was still imperfect. Unfortunately Kerr Stuart were one of the early victims of the trade depression of the 1930's and they closed down in mid-1930. All of their stocks and patterns were taken over by the Hunslet Engine Co of Leeds and this included the little diesel. It was moved to Leeds where it was again modified and used as a 'test-bed' for dry plate clutch transmission. It was then sold in 1932 to Eastwoods Brickworks at Kempston Hardwick, near Bedford. It was in fact the first Standard Gauge Diesel Locomotive sold by the Hunslet Engine Co, who still produce Locomotives for use all over the world. The Locomotive worked on at Kempston until 1966 when the firm (now Redlands Ltd) dispensed with their rail traffic in favour of road haulage. It then reposed in its shed until 1968 when Redlands very generously donated it to the Society. It arrived at Quainton on 15th April 1969, the first Locomotive on the site and is occasionally used for shunting the other stock.
A Barclay Son & Co Ltd, Caledonia Work, Kilmarnock 0-4-0 Saddle Tank built in 1891, works number 699
Swanscombe was delivered new to the Northfleet Coal & Ballast Company at their Northfleet works, Kent. Here it worked with an earlier Barclay Locomotive and an old Saddle Tank built by Henry Hughes of Loughborough. In the early 1900's all three locomotives were transferred to the new Thurrock, Essex, works and Northfleet works was later closed down.
The firm later became the Thurrock Chalk & Whiting Company, now a member of the Blue Circle group. As Swanscombe was only a small engine it was only used on lighter jobs and it finished its days shunting two or three 'presflo' wagons up to the loading dock. In 1965 it was realised that Swanscombe was the oldest Andrew Barclay Locomotive still working in original condition and it was purchased for preservation by member Mr A Sturrock. It arrived at Luton depot on 6th February 1966 and was moved to Quainton on 10th May 1969.
A Barclay Son & Co Ltd, Caledonia Work, Kilmarnock 0-4-0 Saddle Tank built in 1896, works number 776
This locomotive was delivered new to the Melingriffith Co. Ltd., Melingriffith Tinplate Works, Whitchurch, Glamorgan. It worked here until about 1925 when it was sold to P Baker of Cardiff. It was rebuilt by Baker in 1928 and sold in 1931 to the Alpha Cement Company, at their Shipton-on-Cherwell works, Oxon. In 1952 it was transferred to the Houghton Regis works of the Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers. Through the generosity if the Cement company it was acquired for preservation by the Society in 1967. It arrived at Luton depot on 31st October 1967 and was moved to Quainton on 16th April 1969. A considerable amount of work has already been carried out on this Locomotive including the fitting of new cabside sheets.
A Barclay Son & Co Ltd., Caledonia Work, Kilmarnock 0-4-0 Saddle Tank built in 1926, works number 1865
This Locomotive was supplied new to the Southall Works of the Gas, Light & Coke company, becoming their number 4. It shunted at Southall Gas Works for nearly forty years alongside the Great Western Railway. In the 1960's new methods of Gas production made the rail system obsolete and number 4 was withdrawn. It was purchased for preservation by member Mr D Alexander and arrived at Luton depot on 20th April 1966. It was moved to Quainton 17th April 1969.
W G Bagnall & Co, Castle Engine Works, Stafford, 0-4-0 Saddle Tank, built in 1932, works number 2469
This is one of two identical saddle tanks supplied to the Erith Works of the General Electric Co. They were both employed on bringing materials up to the works from the sidings connected to the Southern Railway and later British Railways. As work fell off one of the Locomotives was sold but this one was kept on for the little work remaining. Latterly most of the crews time was spent in cleaning it and making minor adjustments which kept it in very good condition. When the firm of Parsons Ltd., took over the works they offered the Locomotive for sale and it was purchased for preservation by member Mr R Scott. It arrived at Luton depot on 28th October 1966 and was moved to Quainton on 17th April 1969.
A Barclay Sons & Co Ltd., Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, 0-4-0 Saddle Tank, built in 1935, works number 2015
Supplied new to the Kirton Lindsey, Lincolnshire, works of the Central Portland Cement Co Ltd. It worked at Kirton Lindsey until 1949 when it was transferred to the Houghton Regis works of the Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers. It worked here until a big re-organisation scheme meant its replacement by a diesel locomotive. Through the generosity of the Cement Company it was acquired for preservation by the Society. It is at present in store in a private siding in the Aylesbury district and it will be moved to Quainton when funds permit.
Hunslet Engine Co Ltd., Hunslet Engine Works, Leeds. 0-4-0 Saddle Tank. Built in 1882, works number 287
This Locomotive is a typical example of a nineteenth century contractor's engine, being of very light construction for working over temporary laid track. It was delivered new to the Cardigan Iron Ore Company at their Corby works in Northants. It bore the name Vigilant and was the first Locomotive on this site, now the massive Corby Iron and Steelworks. It was not really suitable for the arduous life of a steelworks and was sold to Whittaker Brothers the contractors, then settled down to the normal contractors Locomotive life of travelling the country on many temporary jobs. On one of these jobs it acquired its present name Trym in connection with Westbury-On-Trym in Gloucestershire. It ended up owned by Edward Farrow of Hendon and was purchased from them for preservation by member Mr D Alexander. It arrived at Luton depot on 13th May 1964 and was moved to Quainton on l8th April 1969.
Aveling & Porter, Invicta Works Rochester, Kent. Four wheeled geared. Built in 1895, works number 3567
This is perhaps the most unusual Locomotive in the Societies collection. The upper works resembles a traction engine. The two cylinders are arranged on the compound principle and are mounted on top of the boiler, driving the four rail wheels through a system of gears. Water is carried in a well tank or 'Belly' tank in traction engine terms, which is located underneath the footplate. The boiler is fed by one injector and a pump mounted on the inside of the flywheel. Sydenham was delivered new to Beadle Brothers at their Erith wharf, Kent. This firm became W Cory and Sons and Sydenham was sold by them in 1924 to the Erith Oil Works, not far from its former home. It was completely rebuilt by Aveling & Porter in 1931. The Erith Oil Works later became the British Oil & Cake Mills Ltd. Sydenham soldiered on here until about 1953 when it was replaced by a new diesel Locomotive. The other Steam Locomotive at the mills, also built by Aveling & Porter was retained as a spare to the diesel but Sydenham lay disused. It was acquired for preservation in the late 1950's and was stored in a yard for a few more years before arriving at Luton depot on 5th September 1965. It was moved to Quainton on 15th April 1969.
This was a typed and duplicated list, the quality of which very much reflects the technology of the day. It is presented here for historical interest only.
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 21 October 2017