BRC Website Home
Quainton Virtual Stockbook - Passenger Stock - Non Bogie Vintage Carriages
MSLR 3rd No. 1076
Built by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, this six-wheeled vehicle was used on joint services with the LNWR, mainly on the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway. Taken into Great Central stock, it was transferred to the LNER in 1923, and renumbered 51076. In the 1930s it was withdrawn from everyday passenger service and saw use as a camping coach for some years before passing into departmental stock, probably during the war. For at least twenty years it was used as a workman's mess room at Victoria Dock, Hull. It arrived at Quainton on 28th April 1971, having been purchased by Mr F Poynter, who presented the vehicle to the QRS in 1973.
It is 34ft 8½in long overall with six Mansell wheels and originally had five compartments but unfortunately the partitions were removed many years ago. It is fitted with automatic vacuum brakes and steam heating apparatus.
The carriage has recently completed a further renovation including the following:
|Origin :-||MS&LR||Date Built :-||1890||Number :-||MS&LR - 1076
LNER - 51076
|Diagram :-||-||Lot :-||-|
|Type :-||6 Wheel 3rd||Builder :-||MS&LR - Gorton, Manchester||Owner :-||QRS|
|Status :-||Restored||Location :-||Wembley Building||Accession Number :-||W/0015|
|Arrival Date :-||Quainton 1971 / QRS 1973|
Text © Quainton Railway Society / Photographs © Quainton Railway Society or referenced photographer
Page Updated: 17 September 2017